Matt and I have been busy. Since our last update, I’ve been sketching away at the concepts for the arm, measuring arms, and doing conceptual inquiries with doll owners. Matt has been modeling the arm.
I learned that characters are very important to doll owners—there’s an idea that modifying or otherwise damaging them “hurts” them, as owners relate to their dolls empathetically.
This Saturday, I decided to bring out three of my dolls, all of whom have different body sizes, and get detailed measurements of their arms. Precision is key, and I’d rather have an arm that fits into their arm socket rather than have to print out the arm multiple times.
I used a fabric tape to measure the inside and outside of the ball joints, the circumference of the bicep/forearm in three different parts, and the diameter of the arm. I had to disassemble the dolls and display their parts out in segments in order to a) measure the arms, and b) keep track of them, which of course produced a very interesting sight.
Many thanks to Alex Wykoff, who very kindly took these photos.
A rush contract job threw a wrench in my measuring plans, but I plan to get back to that this week.
Instead, I focused on the thing that’s going to allow us to launch our Indiegogo campaign: our sketches.
This was probably the most growth-inducing practice that I’d done this week. I started thinking about products not as random pieces stuck onto cylinders, but functioning parts. I started thinking about what powers what, and what feeds into different parts of the arm.
I now have 12 medium-fidelity sketches that I am working on raising to high fidelity. Matt has finished modeling the bicep (the piece featured in the sketch above).
My goal in the next day or so is to launch the Indiegogo campaign—I’ll post when it goes up, along with high-fidelity sketches and screenshots of the model.No Comments »