Here’s the update that you’ve been waiting for!
On Tuesday, I finished some high-fidelity sketches and booted up the Indiegogo project. Here’s a sample of the sketches (which can also be found on the Indiegogo):
And here’s a sample of Matt’s semi-rendered model:
Matt and I had a lot of anxiety when we first launched the Indiegogo—this is our baby, so we really want it to succeed. When the donations came in the first day, we were elated! I had spread the word on my Facebook, tumblr, and on two large doll forum sites, and some donations were from people that we knew.
However, the most exciting moment was when we saw that someone had preordered an arm who we didn’t know. We were elated and felt like we were on the right track. Doll arms, here we come!
In the first few days, we had some very pointed questions directed at the legitimacy of our project. It surfaced from one of the doll forums that some of the members didn’t trust our intentions because we had not posted up a clear FAQ of what would happen if the project failed, and how we would take care of our preorder customers. In our positive buzz of getting our project out to the community, we hadn’t made our intentions to support our customers throughout the preorder public, and shone a light back on us to how we could be better taking care of our potential customers.
In response, I posted up an FAQ of the project and made clear in a response on a forum that it is my intention to keep this preorder process as transparent as possible.
In the same day, our post from one of the major doll forums was taken off the forum, citing that we must get the 3D prototype for the arms approved for “on-topicness” for that forum. I think we both felt like this was a blow to us—we knew that the forum was a place where we could reach a lot of people.
Upon reflection, I think that being taken off the forum is an opportunity to have face-to-face conversations with doll owners as well as driving home the point that a 3D prototype is key factor in our trustworthiness as a company.
Today, Matt and I are going to be utilizing the 3D printer to iterate on a prototype. We have digital calipers (many thanks to Jacob Rader for allowing us to borrow them) to very precisely measure the ball-joints and arms to the decimal, so we’re feeling positive on making sure that the iterations fit the doll.
My goal is that next update, we’ll have some prototypes for you all and our experience with the process of creating those.
Guys, this has been a wild ride. I’m looking forward to updating you all soon.No Comments »