Week 6 | Reframing
This week we finally dove deep into synthesis. Synthesis includes a series of four steps that ultimately lead us to design implications.
Here are the following four steps:
- Patterns: behavioral patterns observed from data
- Asking why? : asking why these behavioral patterns exist
- Insights: also known as provocative statements of truth concluded from our data.
- Design Implications: a statement that starts with in order to be successful our design must ___________. These are formulated from insights.
Through feedback from our critiques we decided to reframe our focus from the view point of PTSD. When looking at our data we realized that many of our patterns reflected symptoms of PTSD. Many of our participants have parents who are refugees, meaning they fled from war zones and experienced trauma of some sort. However, without having the proper tools or knowledge of how to over come trauma it leads to the following symptoms:
- Emotional Numbness
- Insight: Learning from family to suppress emotions, hinders people from building healthy relationships later in life. (Not expressing emotion is what I learned from my family and it’s affecting the way I connect now.
- Insight: Survivors of abuse rationalize mistreatment because it’s incomparable to the trauma their parents went through. (I understand why my family mistreated me.)
3. Difficulty Maintaining relationships
- Insight: It’s not that my parents don’t love me, it’s that we don’t love the same.4.Difficulty Maintaining relationships Avoidance
- insight: Sharing meals is the primary form of connection for Asian American families deepest connection I have to my family.
From our insights here are the following design implications that we came up with.
- In order to be successful our design must, encourage users to feel and express emotions to other people
- In order to be successful our design must, allow for a broad range of survivors needs
- In order to be successful our design must, facilitate opportunities for families to build closer connection
Our next steps is to refine our insights and design implications. This is important so we can explore the best ways to present this topic.