This week’s assignment in the land of banking apps was to create a product roadmap. Roadmaps guide the development of a product’s components; they tell the product team when they should be building which part of a product, which means the product manager should think through why one component comes before another.

Here is my roadmap:Timeline-01

I broke up development into three releases. You may notice that the total amount of time for this banking app to be built is 36 days. I talked to two developers, who gave me comparable estimates for each component. Though that seems extremely quick for a banking app to be built, the screens I presented them with focused on an ideal state.

(Note: If I was actually building a banking app that would be accountable for keeping millions of customer’s finances safe, I would be heading back to the drawing board at this point. But this is hypothetical, so your money is safe!)


Below are the wireframes of the first release in it’s entirety:


The second phase focuses on payments:


At a glance, it may look as though the focus of this section is the “Alerts” feature, since it’s taking up more time. If you look below, at the breakdown of the “Payment” components, you’ll notice that most of this feature has already been built in the “Transfer” section. The logic left to build here focuses on the contact list, and sending money outside of the users’ account or bank.


In building these wireframes, I wanted to use as many native iOS UI features as possible, and try to only create new or different controls or components when absolutely necessary. My intent was to cut down on unnecessary changes that could result in confusion on the user’s end or redundancies in the code.

The final release is focused on creating a camera overlay for depositing checks:


The camera overlay was the single most time-consuming component on the roadmap. I was surprised by this, since I have seen this kind of feature fairly often.


I debated with myself for a while on whether to have a third release, or to have two releases, with a longer period for the second release. Ultimately, I decided on three releases. The overall time to build the app would not have changed much. I decided that having shorter deadlines with fewer components might be more motivating for the developers, and would allow us to get features out to our users sooner.