Rapid prototyping: one week for usability test and wireframe iteration
The third week of Rapid Ideation and Creative Problem-Solving course (see last week’s post about the initial wireframes) included user testing, information architecture concept map iteration, and revised wireframes.
I used the Think Aloud Protocol for the usability tests. The method evaluates the usability of an application by encouraging a person to think aloud as they use the product. By verbalizing their thought as they use the product, I was able to understand what they are thinking as they go about a task. As a person completes a function during the test, I provided one instruction: please keep talking.
The usability tests identified several incidents and areas for improvement. In several instances, the low-fidelity of the application seemed to hinder usability testing. Which was quite telling and instructive for me.
The three most critical incidents identified were: viewing and downloading a check; paying an existing bill, and sending a friend money. I determined these as significant since they are primary functions of a banking application. By addressing these areas, it will also improve the fidelity of other wireframes.
Findings: Please Keep Talking
Information Architecture Concept Map
Due to the low-fidelity of the wireframes, I did not make significant changes to the information architecture concept map this week. The most notable difference I’ve proposed, placement of deposit a check within a new area called Move $, did not cause problems during the usability test.
After further usability tests this week, I will revisit the information architecture concept map.
The most significant design decision I made this week were:
- Navigation bar. I added two icons: home, and more (formerly called help).
- Tab bar. I added five icons: Accounts, Move $, Bill Pay, Service, and Products.
- Home page. The homepage is meant to allow a person to quickly go to their most visited areas of the application. While still under development, I redesigned the table and included preliminary icons for each section. I also designed a prompt for a person to customize the dashboard.
- Usability test findings. Revisions were made to pay an existing bill, view and download a check, and send money to a friend.
My next steps in the project are to continue usability testing, to develop additional screens, and to revise the screens and flow based on critique and testing. My hope is that with the changes made this week, I’ll have a higher fidelity wireframes that are better suited for usability testing. Stay tuned!