IMG_9582

Reviving the Chase Mobile Banking wireframes

After about two months of collecting dust in far-far away folders on my laptop, Chase Mobile Banking wireframes got their second life this past week!

This time, we are going to see how much it costs to bring this app to life. To accomplish that, I have prepared the wireframes in a format that I thought would be most helpful for the developer who would do the estimation… I’ve made sure everything is good with Sketch, and have organized the wireframes in Invision, and eventually met with the developer to get a rough estimation.

Before the meeting, I felt pretty good about the wireframes. I thought they looked decent and make a lot of sense. To be honest, I was quite proud of my achievement in Q2, especially taking into account the fact that we had two other very intensive classes going on.

Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 9.30.45 PM

I had enough time to forget that the wireframes weren’t *that* good. But the meeting with the developer opened my eyes to how much was missing and how many questions weren’t answered.

Here’s something that I thought was very important about the way I approach this class. I want to ensure that anything I do and learn should help potentially working with remote developers. That’s why I decided to take a risk and try to organize all screens and detailed specifications in Invision. I already used this app for user testing of these same wireframes, and it was the time to explore the capabilities of the app for remote collaboration.

I started with making connections between the screens, adding what is called “hot spots” (clickable areas) – a very long and boring process, but so insightful! I realized that so many buttons still don’t lead anywhere. So many pages are missing. Sometimes, it was not clear where a “Back” or a “Cancel” button would lead. That really helped to do some micro-iterations on certain screens.

Here is my Invision prototype if you are curious!

During one-hour-long meeting with Mark Phillips, owner of “Are You Watching This?”, we were able to walk through all existing flows, cover some of them in much detail, and just slightly touched others. Nothing really surprised me in the estimation. But I was finally hit by the realization that this is a long, very long process to develop a comprehensive set of wireframes for a Mobile Bank App. According to his estimate the app will take him about 8 months to develop.

Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 9.28.51 PM

The process of estimation I had was not as efficient as it could be. I wish I had all the specifications and components list completely done by the meeting with the developer! Not necessary to show it all to him (we only had one hour together), but to minimize the number of questions I didn’t have an answer on. The lesson is learned. But then, it’s clear that the more often we meet, the easier it is to align with the direction and ensure I prepare everything the developer would need from me going forward.

I am looking forward to getting to a comprehensive deliverable for the developer this week and solidifying the estimate.