Concept Map Redesign of a Digital Banking App
For our first assignment in our Designing Digital Interfaces class we focused on mobile banking apps. I chose University Federal Credit Union’s mobile application. With the goal of outlining all the application’s functionality to better understand where changes could or should be made I started by clicking through every single button in the existing application and taking screen shots to look back at and reference. I also quickly sketched out the hierarchy of the buttons and pages. This sketch helped me visualize the flow in the application as well as start to differentiate the main product areas, subsections, non-core functionality, and non-functional areas.
Then, I was ready to start laying out my concept map. After struggling for a bit to find a program that I liked I decided to just pin what I had to the wall so I could look at it all at once. This was really helpful for me to be able to move portions and play around with layout.
Finally, I digitized my concept map using arrows and element placement to show hierarchy and feature flow within the application.
I also used element size (large to small) to show which features I deemed the main product areas, subsections, non-core functionality, and non-functional areas. Depicting digital forms and questionnaires in the application was a little tricky. I chose to use boxed outlines and dotted lines to identify and group form elements.
This is an application I’ve had for years, and I’ve always thought it works great for my needs. I usually use the mobile app to check my balances, transfer money between my own accounts, and deposit the rare check. Looking at the whole concept map, that seems very small, maybe only a third of what’s available.
I found this model of the existing application very useful as I began thinking about the second portion of the assignment which was a redesign of the application. If you’d asked me before what should be changed or added, I’d probably one have thought to add the ability to make mortgage payments through the app, and definitely wouldn’t have known where that might fit. Being able to visually look at the entire application was really useful in identifying the missing functionality, and choosing the best place to add new functionality.
For example, in the ‘Bill Pay’ section I didn’t have any payee’s setup, and there is no functionality in the mobile app to add one. This is a dead end for a user so in my redesign I added that functionality.
The existing ‘CardKeeper’ screen has two buttons that currently open an info box with a phone number to call, but this number is not linked for a user to click on it and immediately dial. If this app is redesigned I think that would be more helpful for users who are likely already frustrated about their missing card. Other functionality that was added in the re-design includes the ability to setup and manage notifications under the ‘More’ button, transfer money to other financial institution accounts in the ‘Transfer’ section, and updated payment options.