User Testing a Digital Banking App

This week I sat down with 7 people and had them test the wireframes and flows that I created as part of the redesign of the UFCU mobile app. The entire experience was new to me and I learned a lot along the way.

This was my first time using InVision to create a semi-interactive prototype, and there was a learning curve. Once I got the hang of it though it was really neat to link the screens and buttons and get a feel for what it would actually be like to move through this application.

Next, the user testing. I decided to test four flows on my users:

  1. You need to send your Uncle Bill $50 from your checking account for his Birthday.
  2. You need to deposit a $75 check into your checking account.
  3. You want to check your account balances to see if you have enough money.
  4. You are transferring $400 to an account outside of UFCU.

Click here to click through my flows yourself.

I asked the user to simulate logging in at the start of each flow. I used a finger print id button that they could tap to do this. It was interesting to see people’s mixed reactions to this first step. Some people loved it because they thought it was more secure, others were upset because they like using a pin, and still some kept closing out of the flow all together because they would hit the actual home button to scan their fingerprint.

Next was the main menu page. My thinking in redesigning this page was to put the more actionable items like depositing a check large on the top and the more passive items like looking up locations on the bottom. I learned that while this made sense to me, most people expected to the ‘Account’ button to be larger and at the top because this is what they said they do most often. There was also some confusion about the difference between ‘Making a Payment’ and ‘Transfer’. Flow one paying your Uncle was setup as a payment, but almost all the users attempted to transfer money to their Uncle. I think this could be redesigned to a more general button of ‘Send Money’ and then build in navigation to seamlessly help a user get to the appropriate flow.

IMG_0240

Another big issue for people was the ‘Search By’ screen for adding a new payee. On this screen I listed 3 options that they could search by: Business Name, Business Zipcode, and Email. Most users ready the first option and instantly got confused. One saying “My Uncle is not a business…” Then they would usually try and back out instead of reading on. I think I would re-arrange the order of the search items on this page to have email or just name at the top and separate out the business payees and personal payees as an earlier step in the flow.

IMG_0241

I learned many more things that could be improved with my wireframes, and really enjoyed the user testing. Overall the users thought clicking through the prototype was kind of fun and treated it a little bit like a game. Some were a little worried about getting things wrong. I also found out how easy it is for users to get caught up in the details. On one flow I said they were depositing a $75 dollar check, and included that in the amount section, but then used an image of a $50 check. This threw people off and made it a little less realistic. Having text autocomplete also made testing a little less believable and some people got a little paranoid that it read their mind.