Are we making the world a better place?
As I started thinking about Ethics class and this particular assignment, a lot of questions went through my mind and the process got a little bit like a labyrinth process. After doing my facilitation in class I ended up with a lot unanswered questions about all the readings like, How power works? Is everything done for the good or bad of customers? Are the users the losers? Are this big companies designing our lives? Is it unethical? Are they manipulating the customer into doing things they don’t want? Do algorithms define us? Are all these questions a framework? … I was mind browned away by all of these questions. So, I decided to zoom out and look at a bigger question:
To have some sensemaking of the content in the readings I decided to do construct their different perspectives in two axis. And it all came to this:
By doing that I divided the concepts that prioritized more the business outcome and not so much the users. I found that there is a gap when having products and services that are human-centered and prioritize the user’s needs and wants.
To fix this, we could take the power-privilege diagram, where designers are in the top with the power (Figure 1). Why don’t we change the word power to businesses and vulnerability to users and bring the designers to the middle and move the balance where the users are in the power space and the businesses in the receiving end (Figure 2).
By doing these changes we could:
- Balance the user’s needs with the business needs.
- Design and the users experience will no longer be compromised.
- The desire to generate commerce will lower and they will be able to main goal and to serve the user.
The challenges of doing this would be:
- To be able to accomplish the business needs.
- We have to be careful with regulations that already exist.
- The ecosystem is built one way that influences design.
- Benefit the businesses because at the end, they pay
- Want things to change
After all of this questioning and thinking I ended up with a bigger question and that is what I will leave you to think about.